McAllister House Museum
Historic Masonry Demonstration
May 13, 2017
Address: 423 N. Cascade Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
10:00 – 10:15 am Visitor Sign In
10:15 – 10:30 am Welcome & Introduction
Presenter introductions, SHF funding acknowledgements, learning objectives and introduction to the workshop and challenges/opportunities facing masonry preservation at the McAllister House Museum.
10:30 – 11:00 am Preservation Materials and Approaches
Presentation to include:
1) Description of the tools and methods for preserving historic brick and stone;
2) Resources for replacing missing or heavily damaged brick and stone;
3) The importance of historic mortar and mortar testing;
4) Cleaning of historic masonry including removal of harmful coatings and paint;
5) Alternative treatment approaches using non-historic materials including Jahn mortar and H40 Consolidant materials.
11:00 – 11:30 am Practical Demonstration and Q&A
Two demonstration stations will be provided; one for repointing and one for Jahn mortar. Participants will have the opportunity to watch the stone masons in action and ask questions.
11:30 – 12:00 pm Hands-On Stations and Refreshments
Participants can try their hand at one of the demonstration station and continue discussions with speakers, demonstrators and other attendees. Light refreshment will be provided.